As observance of Fire Prevention Months starts, the Bureau of Fire Protection 7 (BFP 7) has disclosed that thirty-two fire incidents occured in Cebu City in less than three-months this year.

The disclosure was made by Supt. Ronaldo Oreta, BFP 7 Asst. Regional Director for Operations, in the Kapihan sa PIA held at the DOST S&T Complex on the first day of this year’s observance the of Fire Prevention Month.

The occasion, highlighted by the theme: “Ligtas na Pilipinas an ating hangad, pag-iingat sa sunod sa sarili ipatupad”,  is observed from March 1 to March 31, 2018.

Oreta pointed out that the 32 fire incidents, occuring between January 1 and middle of February, burned 9 commercial establishments, one school, 5 vehicles, and 17 residential buildings. He also said the common cause of the fire-related disaster is electrical fire.

Oreta urged the public to be more vigilant and fire-safety conscious as the frequency of fire-related disaster this year is alarmingly high considering that there were only a total of 36 fire incidents last year.

BFP 7 and DOST 7, along with other national government agencies,  are part of the integrated disaster management group that prepares a thematic disaster action plan to make communities effectively responsive and resilient to natural calamities.

Engr. Jesus Zamora, DOST 7 Regional Director for Technical Operations, said that DOST adopts the stormwater harvesting technology as the agency’s disaster risk reduction and management measure in case of fire.

Zamora encouraged fire-disaster prone communities to adopt the stormwater harvesting technology in their areas. He said DOST 7 is willing to provide technical assistance in setting up stormwater facilities in communities willing to adopt the technology.


written by: Licinio Gingoyon