To give due recognition to the importance of women in Science and Technology, the Department of Science and Technology Regional Office VII marks the Women’s Month Celebration with a tribute, an input on medical conditions, a movie marathon on women empowerment and loads of health and wellness activities.
A Regional Memorandum No. 02.27.18.008 enjoined all the staff and officials to actively participate in the series of activities set by the DOST VII on March 16, 2018 at the DOST VII Conference Hall, Sudlon, Lahug, Cebu City. Ms. Erika A. Datan from the Department of Health was invited to discuss on the Medical Conditions associated with Aging (its symptoms, prevention and treatment). Moreover, a string of Filipino movies featured the empowered women who triumph against psychological, economic and financial abuse.
The Women’s Month Celebration is commemorated with the theme, “We Make Change Work for Women.” The theme highlights the empowerment of women as active contributors to and claimholders of development. This pursuit of development is also anchored on the commitment of “Malasakit at Pagbabago” or True Compassion and Real Change.
Consistent with Proclamation No. 227 s. 1988, the annual conduct of the National Women’s Month Celebration (NWMC) aims to give due recognition to the contributions of Filipino women in our society.
Specifically, 2018 celebration aims to:
- Inform and engage women as stakeholders of government programs and services – to promote citizen-centric governance and make “change” a conscious effort to know, understand, and provide what ALL citizens need;
- Create and facilitate platforms to discuss good practices, gaps, challenges , and commitments in pursuing gender and development (GAD) – to strengthen implementation of the Magna Carta of Women; and
- Inspire and empower women and girls to be agents of change – to contribute in promoting gender equality and the empowerment of all women.
The Month of March is part of the worldwide observance of the International Women’s Day (IWD).
The following issuances serve as legal bases for the annual activity:
- Proclamation No. 224 s. 1988 declaring the first week of March each year as Women’s Week and March 8 as Women’s Rights and International Peace Day;
- Proclamation No. 227 s. 1988 providing for the observance of the Month of March as Women’s Role in History Month; and
- Republic Act (RA) 6949 s. 1990 declaring March 8 of every year as National Women’s Day.
by: Myrel Siason