Awards had been conferred on homegrown inventors, designers and creative researchers who won this year’s Regional Invention Contests and Exhibits (RICE) under the auspices of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) 7.
The competition was held at the Waterfront Cebu City Hotel in connection with the observance of the annual Regional Science and Technology Week aimed at promoting heightened awareness and interest in science and technology.
Spearheaded by the DOST 7, the regional competition provided local science professionals, researchers, and students the opportunity to showcase the products of their ingenuity and innovative abilities for the appreciation of public viewers.
Their innovative works and researches were also exhibited for public viewing to promote public interest in science innovation and to attract potential investors who might be interested in developing the product for commercial purposes, thus enabling them to contribute to the economy through science and technology.
The awards were given in such categories as the outstanding utility models, outstanding industrial designs, outstanding creative researches or the Likha Award, outstanding student creative researches or the Sibol Awards for college and high school students.
The winning entries and their respective makers or designers are the following:
Outstanding Utility Model (UM)
- Regional Winner: Crab Cage – Ralph A. Cabrera
- 1st Runner-up: Formulation and Process of Producing Organic Animal Feed – Glynne P. Bate, Marivel B. Go, Romeo G. Pableo (Cebu Technological University- Moalboal)
- 2nd Runner-up: Process of Making Sea Urchin (Trionuestes gratilla) Cracker – Jonita V. Literatus , Cecilia G. Sicadsicad (Cebu Technological University-San Francisco, Cebu)
Outstanding Industrial Design (ID): Multi-Purpose Chair-Table with Lamp – Vito Angelo D. Selma
LIKHA Award (Creative Research)
- Regional Winner: Construction Block / Panel from Waste (EPS) – Roy Concordio Nacua
- 1st Runner-up: Wastewater Treatment with Biological Nutrient And Grease Removal – Jesselito V. Baring
- 2nd Runner-up: Eco-Flame Burner – Engr. Noro S. Camomot
SIBOL Award (Student Creative Research for College)
- Regional Winner – YLANG LUMINAIRES – Celestine Dionisio, University of the Philippines (UP) – Cebu
- 1st Runner-up – WAN: A Flatpack and Standalone Rainwater Catcher – Mariz Ehmele A. Pino – UP Cebu
- 2nd Runner-up: Project 2050Bags: Product Development and Material Manipulation For Plastic Waste Reduction – Marriel M. Colaljo, UP Cebu
SIBOL Award (Student Creative Research for High School)
- Regional Winner – GRIPAID: Grip Assistance for the Impuissant Device – James Gabriel Casia, John Burtland Allosada, Gleo Agustein Sevilla (Philippine Science High School – CVC)
- 1st Runner-up – Radiation Shielding Property of Nemipterus isacanthus (Lagaw) Fish Scales Against Gamma Rays – Elijah Joseph A. Consing, Joseph Karl C. Salva, Jr., Bryne Alric L. Yu – Philippine Science High School – CVC
- 2nd Runner-up: AGAP – Assistive Gadget for Asthma through Puffing Mary Bernadette Ramirez – Philippine Science High School – CVC
The members of the board of judges were Dr. Evangeline Evangelista, College of Engineering and Architecture dean, Cebu Institute of Technology – University; Dr. Virgilio Abellana, College of Engineering dean, University of San Jose – Recoletos; and Dr. Danilo Largo, research office director, University of San Carlos.
The winners received certificates and cash awards.
by: Licinio Gingoyon