- Formulate and adopt a comprehensive National Science and Technology Plan, and monitor and coordinate its funding and implementation;
- Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake scientific and technological research and development in areas identified as vital to the country’s development;
- Promote the development of indigenous technology and the adaptation and innovation of suitable imported technology, and in this regard, undertake technology development up to commercial stage;
- Undertake design and engineering works to complement research and development functions;
- Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the transfer of the results of scientific and technological research and development to their end-users;
- Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the technological services needed by agriculture, industry, transport, and the general public;
- Develop and maintain an information system and databank on science and technology;
- Develop and implement programs for strengthening scientific and technological capabilities through manpower training, infrastructure and institution-building;
- Promote public consciousness in science and technology; and
- Undertake policy research, technology assessment, feasibility and technical studies.
The DOST has committed to achieve the following eight (8) outcomes:
- Science-based know-how and tools that enable the agriculture sector to raise productivity to world-class standards;
- Innovative, cost-effective and appropriate technologies that enable MSMEs to develop and produce competitive products that meet world-class standards;
- State-of-the-art facilities and capabilities that enable local industries to move up the value chain and attain global competitiveness;
- PH a global leader in Information Technology – Business Process Management Services generating direct employment of 1.3 M (520,000 of which in the countryside).
- ICT-based transformation of governance broadening access to government services (i.e. health and education) for those in the countryside (PH in the top 50 global ranking of e-government by 2016);
- Improved quality healthcare and quality of life thru science, technology and innovation;
- Highly skilled and globally competitive S&T human resources in support of the national S&T programs (PSHS to be the leading science high school in ASEAN by 2015 and every town to have at least one DOST scholar by 2016)
- Science-based weather information and climate change scenarios with associated impact assessments that enable concerned agencies to develop appropriate mitigation strategies for a disaster and climate change resilient Philippines.
These DOST outcomes shall guide all DOST agencies and offices in weaving one DOST story to communicate to the public and stakeholders the benefits from DOST programs, projects and activities.